So You Want to Be An OAVT Director?
OAVT Directors have an impact on the future of the RVT profession. OAVT Directors are RVT leaders, elected by their peers to accurately and justly represent the best interests of the Association while protecting the interest of the public by regulating the RVT profession, granting professional RVT credentials, and setting & maintaining the standards of the profession.
Responsibilities of the OAVT Board include:
- Help direct the organization with respect to its Mission and Vision Statement and Association’s strategic directions
- Protect the interests of the general public
- Listen to and reflect on issues raised by the members and act in accordance with the best interests of the Association as a whole
- Select confident, strong, and competent leaders to enhance the Association and its potential for the future
- Communicate and work effectively with the Registrar and Executive Director
- Communicate with key stakeholders to raise awareness and recognition for our Association and its members
OAVT Board members also receive significant benefits including but not limited to:
- Invaluable leadership, management training, and experience
- Opportunities to grow as an individual and develop skills that will benefit you both in your present and any future career paths
- Ability to positively impact the OAVT, its members, and adherents
- Honourary attendance at the OAVT Conference paid for by the Association
- Honorary OAVT yearly membership dues
- Reimbursement of travel expenses for attending scheduled meetings as determined by the operational policy of the Association
Continuing education recognition is available as a volunteer while serving in a Director role and/or participating in committees
The OAVT is keenly interested in diversifying the board so that all RVT voices are represented. Considering the current composition of OAVT Directors, the 2024/2025 Board of Directors is in particular need of talented individuals with any or all of the following qualities:
Board of Directors Election
The first step in the OAVT Director Election process is to open the call for nominees. Any OAVT member in good standing can nominate an RVT or Retired RVT (RVTr) for a Director position. The call for nominations is open from September 25, 2023, through December 31, 2023.
- Nominations open – September 25, 2023, through December 31, 2023, at 5 pm
- Interested candidates must submit their nomination packages to the OAVT by 5 p.m. on January 15, 2024
- Nominees are announced to the OAVT membership by January 31, 2024
- Online election runs February 1, 2024, through February 15, 2024, at 5 pm
Frequently Asked Questions
The OAVT Board of Directors meets monthly. The meetings are held either at the OAVT office in Guelph or virtually. Each meeting starts at 9 am and typically concludes by 4 pm, oftentimes mid afternoon depending on the length of the agenda. Meetings are generally held on a Saturday.
Expenses to travel to the meetings are paid for by the OAVT.
The position of a Director is in the capacity of a volunteer; to contribute to and drive the future of the profession. When meeting in person, lunch is provided, and travel expenses are paid for as are overnight accommodations should those be required. Sitting on the Board of Directors is an opportunity open to all RVT and RVTr members across Ontario.
Being on the OAVT Board comes with the pride, leadership, and responsibility of guiding the profession and organization forward. There are a lot of skill-building opportunities. You will learn about all aspects of oversight and decision-making of an organization. This will include setting priorities and overseeing that they are met, creating budgets, monitoring financial performance, and learning how to assess critical information to make important decisions. Also, there are a lot of networking opportunities to meet with others in the veterinary community. The opportunity to learn about or enhance your existing skills in this area will contribute to leadership skill-building that is universally beneficial wherever your career path takes you.
Learn more about our current Board of Directors!
Helena Leigh Harper-Denson,
2021 – Kirsti Clarida, RVT
2020 – Phil Nichols, RVT
2018 & 2019 – Damon Thompson, RVT
2016 & 2017 – Jody Carrick, RVT
2015 – Elise Wickett, RVT
2014 – Ron Southwell, RVT, VTS
2013 – Laura Sutton, RVT / Ron Southwell, RVT, VTS
2011 & 2012 – Laura Sutton, RVT
2010 – Tara Sefton, RVT / Laura Sutton, RVT
2009 – Tracy Cunliffe, RVT/Tara Sefton, RVT
2008 – Tracy Cunliffe, RVT
2006 & 2007 – Senani Ratnayake, RVT
2001 to 2005 – Tara Sefton, RVT
1996 & 1997 – Adora Pridgar
1995 – Jodilyn Pitcher
1991 to 1994 – Monica Tighe, RVT
1989 & 1990 – Steve Hood
1986 to 1988 – Carrie Purcell
1983 to 1985 – Jan Zaharchuck
1977 to 1982 – Laura Keck
1976 – Tim Dunlop
1975 – Sheila Slater
1972 – 1974 – Mr. William A. Gonder
1970 & 1971 – D.G. Johnston
Past OAVT Board of Directors
Monica Tighe (President)
Melanie Lisle (VP)
Cindy Robertson Gies
(P) = President
(VP) = Vice President
(P.Pres) = Past President