What is the OAVT?
The Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians is a professional association. As set forth in the OAVT Act (Bill Pr3-1993), the objectives of the association are:
- To promote, maintain and regulate the professional standards of veterinary technicians and veterinary technologists;
- To promote and further the education of veterinary technicians and veterinary technologists;
- To sponsor, encourage and promote liaison with other individuals, associations and groups engaged in similar or related fields of activity; and
- To promote the interests of the Association.
OAVT Mission and Vision statements
Mission: Define a legislated scope of practice for RVTs as regulated professionals and respected animal healthcare providers to promote team excellence
Vision: Enhance the Health and Welfare of Animals
While the objectives of the OAVT remain constant, the priorities of the association can change from year to year depending on the climate of our industry.
The current priorities of the OAVT are:
- Obtain official recognition of Registered Veterinary Technicians (RVTs) with Ontario legislation and regulations.
- Promote recognition of RVTs as an integral part of the professional veterinary care team amongst public and veterinary communities.
- Enhance the health and welfare of animals by strengthening the regulations of our profession.
- Support our members and represent our profession through a strong and united association.