Continuing Education (CE)
Registered Veterinary Technicians are outstanding in their field. Maintaining their first-rate education and skills requires a commitment to staying current on industry techniques and innovations. Continuing Education represents your dedication to doing just that.
Not only are RVTs enhancing their personal professional standing, they are also satisfying their responsibility as an RVT to obtain 20 CE credits per 24 month period.
What you NEED to know:
- All RVTs must obtain 20 CE credits per 24 month period
- Your “CE Collection Period” refers to the two years you have to obtain CE (i.e. January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2016). Your “CE Collection Period End Date” refers to the last day of your collection period (i.e. December 31, 2016)
- OAVT by-laws state that you have 60 days from your Collection Period End Date to submit your CE.
- Not all RVTs have the same Collection Period. Here are some tips to help you out:
- Your Collection Period End Date can be found in your OAVT membership profile.
- If you became Registered in Ontario before January 2012 then your CE Collection Period will be January 1 to December 31 the following year. If your date of becoming Registered was an odd numbered year, your CE collection period ends December 31st of an odd numbered year.
Example: Registration status is achieved August 22, 2010. Your CE collection period begins January 1, 2011 and ends December 31, 2012. Your CE needs to be submitted within 60 days, so it would be due by March 1, 2013 (then March 1, 2015; March 1, 2017, etc.)
- If you became Registered in Ontario after January 2012 then your CE collection period begins on the first of the month that immediately follows the date you became Registered, and continues two (2) years to the final day of the month you became Registered.
Example: Registration status is achieved on June 08, 2014. Your CE collection period begins July 01, 2014 and ends June 30, 2016. Your CE needs to be submitted within 60 days, so it would be due by August 31, 2016.
- CE credits from the OAVT Conference (beginning with the 2016 Conference) will automatically be applied to your CE record
- CE credits from RVT Journal quizzes that you have taken online in your membership portal will automatically be applied to your CE record
- All other CE must be entered online by the member.
- Random CE audits will be conducted each year by the OAVT. Members must keep a record of all original CE certificates for four years.
For more information on Continuing Education, please review the OAVT’s CE Policy.