Internationally Trained?

Applicants who have received their education from Veterinary Technology/Nursing programmes outside of North America, or from a programme in the United States that is not AVMA accredited, will require an academic assessment from the International Credential Assessment Services (ICAS).

When you contact ICAS, please be sure to request the OAVT’s assessment specifically. No other academic assessment is acceptable for consideration by the OAVT. ICAS will provide the results of this assessment directly to the OAVT, at which point we will contact you to follow up with next steps. It is important that you provide ICAS with current contact information.

Please also note that you must be a Canadian Citizen, hold a Permanent Resident card, or have permission from the Government of Canada to work in Canada, in order to become a Pending Member.

NOTE: Internationally-trained veterinarians are not eligible to apply for Pending Membership unless they hold concurrent training in veterinary technology/nursing. The OAVT encourages such individuals to consider enrolment in an OAVT-accredited veterinary technology programme, if they wish to become an RVT in Ontario.

For more information, contact Laurie Williams, at