Website Seneca Polytechnic
JOB OPPORTUNITY – RPT – SUPPORT
Technologist – Senior
Department: Veterinary Program
Location: King Campus
Position Type: Regular Part-Time
Start Date: Available Immediately
Pay Range: Payband 8 – $19.91 – $29.19 (Start Rate: $19.91)
Hours: Up to 24 hours per week (Shift Details: TBD)
Seneca Polytechnic at a Glance Guided by The Next – A Strategic Plan for Seneca Polytechnic, we offer a working environment that is innovative, healthy, flexible and encourages risk-taking. Joining Seneca Polytechnic brings opportunities for professional development and career growth, with support available for health and wellbeing in all its forms – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual – to support the whole person.
Position Summary As directed by the AHC Manager and Chair, this position will support the safe and efficient operations of the Animal Health Centre and includes responsibility for the live animals on site, student support, teaching support, creation implementation and maintenance of Animal Health Centre routines, equipment, and providing animal care. The incumbent will work with the Centre Coordinator for Animal Health. The Animal Health Centre is licensed by the College of Veterinarians of Ontario and is also a licensed research facility with the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs.
Maintenance and Organization of the Animal Health Centre (AHC)
· Contributes to, implements, and monitors protocols (as per ministry guidelines) for the safe handling and disposal of hazardous materials as per relevant guidelines, i.e., CVO.
· Contributes to, implements, and maintains protocols for equipment in the AHC.
· Inspects equipment (prior to use) used in maintaining appropriate husbandry for on-site animals and confirms safe operational standards are achieved.
· Provides feedback and support as required to ensure that all areas of AHC are organized and maintained in a manner to support humane, safe, and efficient receiving, handling, housing and treatment, and disposition of animals.
· Ensures that all aspects of Ministry of Labour and Health Canada Radiation Safety regulations are complied with.
· Provides feedback and participates in coordinating financial information regarding equipment repairs, purchases, and supplies.
Advisory of Technical Expertise
· Demonstrates and provides instructions on husbandry, radiographic imaging, sterilizing and surgical assistance, and numerous laboratory and animal handling techniques to students.
· Collaborates with teaching staff on technical aspects of updating manuals for both clinics and laboratories.
· Participates in veterinarian-led daily rounds of animal patients to verify student observations and implement DVM instructions.
· Assists faculty in preparations of documentation and facility readiness for accreditation reports and visits.
· Attends and participates in all staff meetings.
· Liaises with physical resources for regular and emergency physical plant operations.
· Regularly communicates with animal providers, animal users, and students.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum of a two (2) year diploma in Veterinary Technician.
· Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) in good standing with the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians (OAVT) is required.
· Valid CPR and First Aid certification is required.
· Completed WHMIS/Hazardous materials training is required.
· Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a Registered Veterinary Technician in private practice and diverse experience preferably with small, large, and laboratory animals. Experience should include inventory control and equipment maintenance.
· Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, and communication skills (written and verbal) to interact with the college’s multi-cultural/racial/able staff, students, and the public.
· High degree of personal integrity, reliability, work ethic, and acceptance of responsibility are of prime importance.
· Ability to organize workload, establish priorities and work with minimal supervision.
· Excellent people skills with a positive attitude and teamwork mentality.
· Demonstrated ability to provide clarity in guiding/advising others to accurately explain processes and procedures.
This position may require heavy physical effort, lifting over 20 kg/44 lbs.
Note: A skills assessment may be required as a part of the recruitment process.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com