Website Ontario Turtle Conservation Centre
Organization: Ontario Turtle Conservation Centre (OTCC) (Peterborough, ON)
Position: Veterinary Technology Student Summer Job
Application Due Date: Applications are reviewed as they are received until mid-March.
Start Date: April 29, 2024 ending September 2, 2024 (subject to change)
Compensation: Subject to funding availability @ $16.65/hour for 35-40hrs/week
Under veterinary supervision, veterinary technology students will provide technical medical care to initially stabilize injuries and will provide short to long term care for injured turtles admitted to OTCC throughout the summer months, with the goal of rehabilitating each turtle and releasing them back into the wild. They will also participate in egg recovery and hatchling management. This position may involve working with the public through turtle admissions, phone calls, etc. The applicant must be able to take initiative in a fast-paced environment with a high volume of admissions, while maintaining a positive attitude. The schedule includes evenings and weekends on a 3- to 4-week rotation.
● Applicant must meet the eligibility requirements laid out by Canada Summer Jobs. As such, applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 30 on the start date of the position; be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status; and have a valid SIN number and be legally entitled to work in Canada.
● Must be (either currently or previously) enrolled in a veterinary technology program at an OAVT-accredited Ontario institution; or in a DVM program.
● Be able to follow technical protocols.
● Have a strong interest in conservation biology and Ontario wildlife.
● Be available to work evenings and weekends on a rotational schedule.
● Be able to complete tasks independently, and to work and communicate as part of a team.
● Be able to perform physical tasks, such as lifting tanks of water and general facility maintenance tasks as required.
● Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle, as applicant will be required to travel between two locations (1434 Chemong rd. & 2785 Television Rd. in Peterborough) during the work day.
● Be willing to comply with health and safety regulations and animal care protocols.
● Previous experience with exotics and/or reptiles is an asset but not required.
Please email your application (cover letter and resume in one PDF file) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “OTCC Veterinary Technician Application 2024” in the subject line of the email.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com