Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Are you looking for an exciting and rewarding opportunity that allows you to make a positive impact on wildlife and contribute to public safety? If so, do not miss this opportunity to be a part of an energetic and highly professional team with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry’s Rabies Surveillance and Control Program. Gain valuable experience in your field and lay the ground work for a future with the Ontario Public Service in areas such as science, biology, natural resources and environment.
Organization: Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Division: Science and Research Branch – Provincial Services Division
City: Peterborough, Vineland
Job Term: 1 Temporary recruitment initiative to fill 8-14 fixed-term contracts for up to 16 weeks, with possibility of extension
Job Code: 41100 – Resource Technician 1
Salary: $22.23 – $24.10 Per Hour*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Posting Status: Open
Job ID: 195630
Temporary assignments/contracts for up to 16 weeks, with the possibility of extension, in:
West Region (Vineland): 8-12 positions
Southern Region (Peterborough): 2 positions
Please Note: Moving or living expenses/reimbursements are not available.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Are you looking for an exciting position supporting wildlife health? In this role, you will carry out a variety of technical duties and program responsibilities associated with the delivery of wildlife rabies research, control and management programs.
Every year throughout the summer and fall, our team works together to:
- distribute oral rabies vaccine baits by hand, bait station, helicopter, and airplane
- conduct trap-vaccinate-release of wildlife in high-risk areas
- test dead, sick, and strange-acting wildlife for rabies
- conduct research to help improve the effectiveness of rabies control operations
Learn more at: Wildlife rabies outbreaks and control operations | ontario.ca
How do I qualify?
- You must have a valid G license or equivalent. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that they have a valid driver’s license upon being hired.
- You are or are willing to be vaccinated against the rabies virus and maintain an adequate antibody titre.
- You possess, or have the ability to complete, Standard First Aid and CPR training.
- You are capable of working in low altitude aircraft (twin otter, beaver, and helicopter).
- You have the ability to undertake fieldwork, working in inclement weather conditions, lifting, and carrying heavy objects (field gear), and hiking long distances over difficult terrain.
Technical knowledge and skills:
- You have proven experience working in lab and field operations.
- You have experience working with laboratory and field equipment, including use of live-traps.
- You have the ability to collect and process specimens for biological data.
- You have basic knowledge in mammalian anatomy.
- You have knowledge of wildlife research and management techniques and principles.
- You have proven ability to work as a team member with minimal supervision.
- You have interpersonal and communication skills to interact with the public and landowners with tact and diplomacy.
- You can work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and ensure team members working with you are following workplace regulations.
- You possess problem-solving skills to troubleshoot operational field activities.
- You have organizational skills and attention to detail.
- You have well developed knowledge and skills working with computers and computer software such as word processing, spreadsheets and data entry.
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 16 weeks, 4890 Victoria Ave N, Vineland, West Region or 2140 East Bank Dr, Peterborough, East Region
How to apply:
Applications must be received by the end of the closing date, March 17, 2023.
- You must submit your application using only one of the methods identified below.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Be sure to quote the Job ID number for this position.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Sarah Hagey, firstname.lastname@example.org, Science Operations Supervisor (Acting)
View the full job ad at Ontario Public Service Careers – JobID 195630
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com