Registered Veterinary Technician – Oncology
Lakeshore Animal Health Partners
About the role
You will be exposed to oncology, internal medicine, surgery, neurology, emergency and critical care departments as part of our integrated care model. In addition, you will experience advanced nursing techniques and other specialty procedures not routinely performed in regular practice.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive compensation (Starting $22-35/h, depending on experience)
- Friendly and supportive work environment
- Annual Performance Reviews and ability to develop in your profession
- Continuing education allowance + Access to exclusive webinars and CE events
- RRSP package with matching
- Health and dental plus a fantastic EAP, access to Telus Health telemedicine & loads of other benefit perks
- Paid sick days
- Paid Uniform Allowance
- Opportunity to advance in your career and career planning
- Commitment to the community and to helping pets in need
- INDUSTRY LEADING medical and pet supply discounts
- Canada wide internal transfer opportunities
- And much more!!
About the Role
Our candidate must have:
- Good standing with their provincial regulatory association
- Registered Veterinary Technician with the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians
- Experience in Oncology is an asset
- Strong venipuncture skills are required
- This role includes administration of chemotherapy and knowledge of these medications
We are seeking candidates who possess the following qualities:
- Enthusiasm, energy and a positive attitude
- A strong desire to educate and build solid relationships with clients
- Ideally interested in research and teaching
- Interest in oncology knowledge development; including partaking in journal club, daily rounds, and other activities in the hospital
- A strong desire to learn and apply skills to deliver high quality medicine
- Strong communication skills
- An ability and desire to flourish in new environments
- Passion for what you do every day!
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the oncologist, the duties and responsibilities of the Oncology RVT include:
- Strong emphasis on patient care
- Medical record documentation (including flow sheets, daily soaps, pertinent laboratory data, prescriptions and other data systems) and transmitting this information to other services who will be involved on an individual case basis
- History taking for recheck and chemotherapy appointments as well as discharges for patients to clients
- Primarily manage supply of chemotherapy and equipment inventory
- Strong mathematical skill with ability to calculate and dispense medications at the direction of the Oncologist on staff
- Performing and submitting laboratory samples
- Assisting the oncologist in procedures such as sedated biopsies or CT scans
- Administering oral, IM, IV medications
- Ability to use independent judgment and initiative
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to participate as a cooperative team member
- Detail oriented, strong proficiency and efficiency with computer systems and software
- Should be able to multitask
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned
Lakeshore Animal Health Partners is part of the VetStrategy group of clinics. A career with VetStrategy is anything but ordinary Our work is something we’re truly excited about. Every day, we make an impact in the lives of others with veterinary care backed by a team of professionals who love what they do.
From Vancouver Island to Newfoundland, we have opportunities across Canada to fuel your passion. The possibilities are endless for you to do the most meaningful work of your career. Let us help you find your perfect role.
Lakeshore is located in Mississauga and offers 24/7 emergency care alongside a comprehensive array of specialty veterinary services. At the root of everything we do at Animal Health Partners is our guiding mission to provide pets with access to the same quality of healthcare available to their owners.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org