Website Kitchener-Waterloo Stratford Perth Humane Society
Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT), Permanent Full time
The Humane Society of Kitchener Waterloo & Stratford Perth
NOTE: Not your average RVT role!
Do you dream about working in shelter medicine and dabbling in outreach? Love the idea of supporting homeless animals of all types and owned pets? Does it excite you to make a difference in their lives? Our Registered Veterinary Technician role might be exactly what you’re looking for!
Who You Are:
- You’re outgoing and energetic (even without coffee)
- You’re an animal AND people advocate (judgement be gone!)
- You like to dive into your role and support your team however possible
- You thrive when you’re helping animals but are a natural talent in customer service
- You’re a medical triage champ and are cool as a cucumber doing it
- You’re a whiz at animal handling (including those spicy kittens!)
- You are an innovative self-starter who loves a challenge, from surgery to trying to figure out if that rabbit really is fixed
- You’re not afraid to get messy, know how to handle that ferocious feral cat, and can wrap a surgery pack like nobody can
- You think giving IV fluids, placing urinary catheters, and receiving bloodwork results are highlights of your day
- You’re prepared and understanding that we can see hard things every day, but focus on the incredible lives we impact along the way
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment, and can excel at any challenge thrown your way – multi-tasking? Easy! Prioritizing tasks? You can do it in your sleep. Adapt to change well? Absolutely! Time management skills? You were born with them!
- You are highly organized – your to-do lists are a work of art
- You work best when collaborating in a team with volunteers and staff
What You Will Be Doing Day-to-Day:
Our RVTs work as part of a clinical team, and in a scheduled rotation which covers Medical Care RVT and Surgical RVT. A sampling of typical duties:
- Performing daily rounds of all animals to identify any medical or behavioural concerns
- Medication administration, vaccination and microchipping as required
- Assisting the veterinarian on daily medical rounds and administering prescribed treatments
- Wellness examinations of new intakes, basic recheck examinations
- Triage of any emergency or urgent patients to ensure timely medical treatment is provided
- Anesthesia and post-operative care of all surgical patients
- Medical care of any hospitalized patients in clinic, including IV fluids, urinary catheters, CRIs
- In house laboratory work including urinalysis and cytology (blood work and fecal sent off site)
- Working with foster families, animal control, shelter staff and volunteers
- Supporting clinic volunteers in their training and duties, as well as engaging and building relationships with them
- Fostering relationships with colleagues, volunteers, customers, etc.
Working at The Humane Society:
- We are a recognized leader in animal welfare and champion the responsible and compassionate treatment of animals through education, collaboration, compliance, advocacy and care.
- We are a growing team of animal lovers (whether they have fur, scales, shells or feathers!)
- We get things done at a fast pace, and love tackling new and exciting ideas
- We do best when collaborating and believe in empowering people – we want to empower you to do your job
The Important Details & Perks:
- A caring culture of teamwork and appreciation
- Permanent, full-time employment based out of our Kitchener Animal Centre
- Opportunities to work with an experienced team, collaborate, learn, grow and excel
- Core hours are weekdays day shifts, work only every 4th weekend
- Employee pension plan with employer matching – you contribute 2%, we match with 4%
- Employee Wellness / Assistance Program
- 3 weeks paid vacation time
- Paid illness and personal days
- Paid OAVT professional membership fee, continuing education and scrubs allowance
- Access to staff pet food program (discounted food)
- Access to veterinary services program
- Opportunity to go home each day knowing you contributed to your community by helping animals and their families, and advocating for homeless shelter animals to find their way to better life situations and forever homes
- Bring your pet to work OR enjoy others’ pets while you work!
- New graduates welcome!
Help make a difference in the lives of animals, while working together with a high-caliber team that shares your passion and energy!
If this role is calling your name, we look forward to hearing from you! Please submit your resume and cover letter to Michelle.Bast@kwsphumane.ca. You can also request a complete job description from Michelle if you would like more details.
To ensure full consideration of your application, we encourage applicants to apply by September 20, 2023. The posting will remain open until filled.
The Humane Society of Kitchener Waterloo & Stratford Perth warmly welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds, groups and lived experiences, as well as individuals of all abilities. We are committed to a culture of inclusivity and collaboration that celebrates diverse perspectives and voices.
We are happy to accommodate individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact Michelle.Bast@kwsphumane.ca in advance.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to Michelle.Bast@kwsphumane.ca