Website City of Vaughan
CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Part-time Unionized opportunity in the By-Law & Compliance, Licensing & Permit Services Department for an experienced and motivated individual
Animal Services Attendant
Vaughan is a city on the move. With a downtown core rising from the ground – the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, a state-of-the-art hospital opened its doors in 2021 – the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital, and a bustling subway, exciting projects are transforming the community. Be a part of something amazing and build your career at the City of Vaughan.
The City of Vaughan is an equal opportunity employer serving one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada, we are an organization committed to diversity and inclusivity, providing a thriving work environment, excellent benefits, learning and growth opportunities and a place where collaboration and teamwork are fostered. As one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2022, we continuously employ workplace best-practices – and they’re getting noticed! Excellence demands brilliant personalities, visionary thinking and a passion for public service. Vaughan is your place to grow.
Performs a variety of duties associated with the humane care of animals and maintenance of the Animal Shelter as outlined in the departmental policy and procedures. Responsibilities encompass keeping the animal facility clean and sanitized, animal care and husbandry, grooming, encouraging adoptions, reuniting owners with lost animals, client service, and ensuring the safety and health of animals within the facility.
Qualifications and experience:
- Minimum two (2) years animal husbandry experience in an animal shelter, veterinary clinic, or other animal-related facility. Experienced in medicating animals and handling feral, aggressive, and under-socialized animals.
- Valid non-probationary Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing.
- Preferred Qualification: Registered Veterinary Technician
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills including excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of dog and cat breed identification; comfortable with handling and restraint of all breed types, as well as other animal species
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, the City’s core competencies and relevant functional competencies
- Tact and independent judgment in dealing with members of the public
- Knowledge and ability in recognizing medical conditions in animals
- Working knowledge of legislation as it applies to a municipal animal shelter
- Ability to work rotating shifts, including evenings and weekends, late evenings, early mornings
- Expected to wear scrubs and protective personal equipment (PPE)
- Ability to lift and move animals or objects weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Exposure to people who may be impatient, angry or unpredictable; dealing with complaints
- Moderate physical activity/output related to animal husbandry and handling
- May be required to report to satellite locations as directed (ie. pet store adoption kiosks, etc.) to provide animal care, transport, or information
- Successful candidates will be required to submit a clear Vulnerable Screening Criminal Record Check from an accredited police service, prior to commencing employment.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please visit our website to apply online by March 28, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised, the City of Vaughan uses email to communicate with applicants for open job competitions. The City of Vaughan has implemented a mandatory vaccine policy for all its employees. The City will comply with its human rights obligations, make exceptions for applicable medical conditions and accommodate employees legally entitled to accommodation.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
To apply for this job please visit cityofvaughan.njoyn.com.