Website City of Vaughan - Vaughan, ON
Performs a variety of duties associated with the humane care of animals and maintenance of the Animal Shelter as outlined in the departmental policy and procedures. Responsibilities encompass keeping the animal facility clean and sanitized, animal care and husbandry, grooming, encouraging adoptions, reuniting owners with lost animals, client service, and ensuring the safety and health of animals within the facility.
Qualifications and Experience
• Preferred Qualification: Registered Veterinary Technician
• Minimum two (2) years animal husbandry experience in an animal shelter, veterinary clinic, or other animal-related facility. Experienced in medicating animals and handling feral, aggressive, and under-socialized animals.
• Valid non-probationary Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing.
• A team player with strong interpersonal skills including excellent oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge and understanding of dog and cat breed identification; comfortable with handling and restraint of all breed types, as well as other animal species
• Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, the City’s core competencies and relevant functional competencies
• Tact and independent judgment in dealing with members of the public
• Knowledge and ability in recognizing medical conditions in animals
• Working knowledge of legislation as it applies to a municipal animal shelter
• Ability to work rotating shifts, including evenings and weekends, late evenings, early mornings
• Expected to wear scrubs and protective personal equipment (PPE)
• Ability to lift and move animals or objects weighing up to 100 lbs.
• Exposure to people who may be impatient, angry or unpredictable; dealing with complaints
• Moderate physical activity/output related to animal husbandry and handling
• May be required to report to satellite locations as directed (ie. pet store adoption kiosks, etc.) to provide animal care, transport, or information
• Successful candidates will be required to submit a clear Vulnerable Screening Criminal Record Check from an accredited police service, prior to commencing employment.
To apply for this job please visit cityofvaughan.njoyn.com.