Website City of Vaughan
Delivers public outreach, education, and awareness regarding responsible pet ownership. Provides service and enforces animal-related by-laws in the City of Vaughan, and any contracted municipality, including identifying, investigating and reporting alleged offences, and monitoring compliance with such by-laws in accordance with applicable legislation.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Successful completion of a two (2) year College Diploma in Veterinary Technology or equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities;
Veterinary Technology or combination of animal-related experience with law enforcement diploma.
• Minimum two (2) years related animal control experience and experience within enforcement processes as it relates to animal control, municipal, and provincial legislation.
• Good organizational and report writing skills, accompanied with computer literacy
• Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to work independently as well as within a team
• Sound judgment and service excellence in dealing with the public and animals
• Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public and staff
• Ability to develop and maintain working relationships with co-workers, agencies and organizations
• Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, the City’s core competencies and relevant functional competencies.
• Successful candidates(s) will be required to submit a clear Vulnerable Screening Criminal Record Check (issued by an accredited police service), prior to commencing employment.
• Valid non-probationary Ontario Class “G” driver’s license, in good standing
• Expected to work independently in the field a majority of the time, wear a uniform and protective personal equipment (PPE)
• The successful candidate is required to work at/report to and from various locations as assigned, both within and/or outside of the City of Vaughan boundaries (for example, but not limited areas in York Regions such as King City, Richmond Hill)
• Ability to be on standby and respond to a company-issued cell phone during standby hours outside of the office
• Ability to work rotating shifts, including evenings and weekends, late evenings, early mornings
• Availability to work outside normal business hours, as required and in accordance with the Collective Agreement
• Ability to lift and move animals or objects weighing up to 100 lbs.
• Exposure to people who may be impatient, angry or unpredictable; dealing with complaints
• Moderate physical activity/output required for the apprehension of animals
• Exposure to changing and potentially adverse weather conditions throughout year due to inside/outside work environment, mainly in the field
• May be required to report directly to other municipalities as directed to provide contract animal control services
• Eligible to become a member of the Municipal Law Enforcement Officers Association
To apply for this job please visit cityofvaughan.njoyn.com.