Website City of Vaughan
CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Temporary Part-time Unionized opportunity in the By-Law & Compliance, Licensing & Permit Services Department for an experienced and motivated individual
Animal Services Officer
Up to 9 Months
JOB # J0321-0682
Vaughan is a city on the move. With a downtown core rising from the ground – the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, a state-of-the-art hospital opening its doors in 2021 – the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital, and a bustling subway, exciting projects are transforming the community. Be a part of something amazing and build your career at the City of Vaughan.
The City of Vaughan is an equal opportunity employer serving one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada, we are an organization committed to diversity and inclusivity, providing a thriving work environment, excellent benefits, learning and growth opportunities and a place where collaboration and teamwork are fostered. As one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2021, we continuously employ workplace best-practices – and they’re getting noticed! Excellence demands brilliant personalities, visionary thinking and a passion for public service. Vaughan is your place to grow.
Delivers public outreach, education, and awareness regarding responsible pet ownership. Provides service and enforces animal-related by-laws and other applicable legislation in the City of Vaughan, and any contracted municipality, including identifying, investigating and reporting alleged offences, and monitoring compliance with such by-laws in accordance with applicable legislation
Qualifications and experience:
- Successful completion of a two (2) year College Diploma in Veterinary Technology or equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities; Veterinary Technology or combination of animal-related experience with law enforcement diploma.
- Minimum two (2) years related animal control experience and experience within enforcement processes as it relates to animal control, municipal, and provincial legislation.
- Good organizational and report writing skills, accompanied with computer literacy.
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Sound judgment and service excellence in dealing with the public and animals.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public and staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain working relationships with co-workers, agencies and organizations.
- Ability to lift and move animals.
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, the City’s core competencies and relevant functional competencies.
- Successful candidates(s) will be required to submit a current, clear Vulnerable Screening Criminal Record Check (issued by an accredited police service) prior to commencing employment.
- Valid non-probationary Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing.
- The successful candidate(s) will be required to work at/report to and from various locations as assigned, both within and/or outside of the City of Vaughan boundaries (for example, but not limited areas in York Region such as King City, Richmond Hill).
- Ability to work rotating shifts, including evenings and weekends, late evenings, early mornings, and ability to be on standby.
- Eligibility to become a member of the Municipal Law Enforcement Officer’s association considered an asset.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please visit our website to apply online by Tuesday April 20, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised, the City of Vaughan uses email to communicate with applicants for open job competitions.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
To apply for this job please visit cityofvaughan.njoyn.com.