Central Toronto Emergency Veterinary Clinic
The Central Toronto Veterinary and Referral & Emergency Clinic (CTVRC/EC) is a premier specialty referral and emergency centre, owned and operated by two Canadian Veterinarians. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality of care in the areas of surgery, internal medicine, oncology, and emergency medicine.
Our mission is to lead in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of medical and surgical diseases. To provide the highest quality of veterinary care to our patients in an environment tailored to meet the needs of our patients, our clients and our staff.
We are committed to providing an equal opportunity to all employees and strive to create a diverse workplace. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/persons of colour, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ2S, and others who help us provide the fulsome veterinary care we strive for. Our clinics rotations are unique and designed to support your health, well-being, and work-life balance offering a consistent schedule of 10hr and/or 12hr shifts spaced to allow for adequate time off.
Central Toronto Veterinary Referral and Emergency Clinic is seeking to fill the role of Animal Care Assistant (ACA). Our ACAs are vital members of our team and directly contribute to providing excellent patient care in a fast-paced environment. Working under the supervision and work guidance of our Veterinarians and/or Veterinary Technicians, our ACAs support the delivery of advanced veterinary care for service lines including Internal Medicine, Surgery and Emergency/Critical Care. You will be responsible for assisting with procedures, treatments and diagnostics, maintaining the clinics cleanliness and organization, and contributing positively to the overall customer service experience. This may include but is not limited to assisting with responding to emergency care situations (crashing patients), preparing patients for anesthetics and surgical procedures (e.g. fracture repairs, mass removals, etc.), CT Scans, endoscopes, completing laundry duties and other cleaning responsibilities, and reprocessing & cleaning medical equipment.
Job Duties include, but are not limited to
· Supports the delivery of varied procedures, treatments, and diagnostics for Internal Medicine, Surgery, and Emergency/Critical Care services, including but not limited to setting up ER tray, Fine Needle Aspirates, Tru-Cut Biopsy, Surgical Anesthetic (ET tube, catheterization, etc), and scopes
· Restrains animals in a safe and compassionate manner, ensuring the safety of the patient, colleagues and self; uses restraint equipment, such as muzzles, towels, gloves as appropriate and in a proportionate response to animal behaviour
· Ensures the ongoing comfort of in hospital patients and outpatients, such as ensuring clean bedding and kennel/cage, using appropriate animal care behaviours/techniques
· Is accountable for clean up after the delivery of procedures, surgeries, diagnostics and treatments, including safely disposing of sharps, collecting used equipment for proper cleaning and sterilization (e.g. surgical packs and other related equipment, scopes), cleaning surfaces according to aseptic technique, and safely disposing of biohazardous waste (e.g. limbs or excised masses)
· Accountable for the daily cleanliness of the clinic which includes but is not limited to vacuuming and mopping all areas of the clinic, cleaning shared bathroom facilities and cleaning surfaces such as treatment tables and counters
· Accountable for full scope laundry duties, including bringing soiled laundry to washers, running wash cycles, running dry cycles, folding laundry, and replenishing laundry supplies in the treatment area
· High school diploma; completion of Post-Secondary Animal Care Program preferred
· Minimum 1-year experience in hands on animal care environment, including but not limited to veterinary clinic, wildlife center, or shelter
· Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration
· Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and effectively manage multiple demands in a fast-paced environment
· Demonstrated client service experience, including providing excellent and friendly patient care and meeting client’s needs
· Effective and clear communication abilities, both written and verbal
· Competitive hourly rate of pay commensurate with education and experience
· Shift premiums
· Comprehensive benefits package, including access to Employee Assistance Program
· Staff pet allowance
· Paid sick days
· Staff appreciation perks (snack table, team events)
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code Central Toronto Veterinary Referral & Emergency Clinic will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
You will be contacted if we believe your skills and experience will make you successful in the role. If you are selected to move forward, the process will include interview and/or assessments and reference checks.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org