OAVT Professionalism & Ethics Workshop
The P&E workshop is held several times a year – including at the OAVT Conference. This list will be updated as more workshops are added.
Please note that as of fall 2017 the P&E Workshops now START at 9am and FINISH at 4pm.
To register for the P&E Workshop, please go to the specific date in the OAVT Events Calendar. Click on the event and apply as a member or non-member. OR click on the hyperlink attached to the "Registration Opens" date.
Upcoming P&E Workshop dates and locations:
|When||Where||Registration Opens||Registration Deadline||
|Sun. Oct. 22, 2017
|Sun. Nov. 12, 2017
|Sun. March 4, 2018
||Nov. 1, 2017
||Feb. 16, 2017
|Sat. March 24, 2018
||Feb 8, 2018
||March 6, 2018
|Sat. May 26, 2018
||April 5, 2018
||April 24, 2018
*Please keep in mind that at least 40 participants need to be registered for the Workshop to take place.
**The P&E Workshop is intended for students in their FINAL YEAR of a veterinary technology program, Pending Members of the OAVT, or RVTs who want a refresher. First year students should not be taking the Workshop, as they have not yet been taught the materials covered during the Workshop.
OAVT Professionalism and Ethics (P&E) Workshop:
The P&E is required for an individual to obtain their Registered status as outlined in By-Law #2 of the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians. This one-day workshop provides a remarkable opportunity to engage in an interactive learning environment alongside practicing and experienced RVTs. The outcome of the seminar will be to develop an understanding of the professionalism and ethics demanded in our highly specialized profession.
Participants will explore real work situations and challenges of being a professional RVT. Specific goals of this tailored workshop include:
- Understanding the importance of a defined protocol in your work environment
- Situations that frustrate RVTs and how to handle them
- Working with other professionals in a regulated environment
- The potential implications of actions or inaction in a variety of real life situations
- How to communicate boundaries to other professionals
- Everything an RVT needs to know about working within the Ontario regulated environment
- How professionalism and ethics affects the role of RVTs in a variety of environments
- Helping RVTs to understand how to work within the boundaries and requirements of the self-regulated profession
Workshop materials and presentations are facilitated and led by practiced RVTs who help guide the learning process through real case studies and analysis.
Participants appreciate gaining an eye opening understanding of the RVT profession from a perspective that will enable them to feel confident at the workplace, when faced with challenging situations and decisions.
Participants are required to bring a pen/writing materials to make notes and participate in the final survey.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
- Every P&E Workshop has a withdrawal date two weeks before the event. You can cancel your ticket in the online portal up until this withdrawal date, and you will receive a full refund.
- A Cancellation Fee of $50 applies to all cancellations between the withdrawal date (two weeks before the event) and 48 hours before the event.
- Cancellation Requests made within 48 hours of the event will NOT BE REFUNDED.